Learning, Motivation, and Theory

I watched the backwards brain bicycle video. From the video, I found that once a person’s qualitative thinking is formed, it becomes very difficult to change it. In the video, the author spent 8 months learning to ride a bicycle with left and right interchangeable. This is enough to show that when people want to change a habit that has been accumulated over time, it takes a lot of time. But on the other hand, the author’s son in the video only took 2 weeks to learn to ride a bicycle with left and right interchangeable. The authors concluded that children’s brains are more neuroplastic. I don’t quite agree with this idea, because the author promised his child that if he succeeds, he will take him to Australia to meet the astronauts. The author and his son spend varying amounts of time practicing each day. The child knows that if he completes this task, he will be rewarded, which motivates the child to do it. Park (2018) claimed that “students are more motivated to participate in a task if they expect to succeed in it.” For example, when I was in elementary school, the school had a final exam. If I got excellent grades, my parents would take me to the amusement park. This makes me motivated in my studies, and I tend to be more serious in my studies and get better grades than usual.

Motivation is divided into extrinsic motivation and intrinsic motivation, as far as the example I gave is extrinsic motivation. “Extrinsically motivated behavior is controlled by external factors, so it leads to less productive learning behavior and lower quality engagement compared to intrinsically motivated learning behavior (Park, 2018)”. So how do you develop intrinsic motivation? Intrinsic motivation requires developing an interest in learning. We can add interactive games to traditional classroom teaching and slideshows, so that students can fully immerse themselves in the classroom. Establish a cooperative classroom learning model. Forms of learning gamification make it easier for learners to focus for extended periods of time. Many adults forget the specific subjects they learned as teenagers, but it’s hard to forget the games they played around the same time. Learning gamification is not classroom teaching, but a teaching method and tool in classroom teaching, which is an effective supplement to classroom teaching. This is of great help to our study.

Reference:

Park, S. (2018). Motivation Theories and Instructional Design. In R. E. West, Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology: The Past, Present, and Future of Learning and Instructional Design Technology. EdTech Books. Retrieved from:https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/motivation_theories_and_instructional_design 

1. leihan

Hello Haoran, you tell clearly the differences between extrinsic motivation and intrinsic motivation. I agree with you in that adults are prone to stick to their existing qualitative thinking and world view. I also agree that game-based classroom could increase students’ motivation. I add that not all subjects are suitable with game-based interaction. In the following blue-print section, we may think about the target students and target subject very carefully.

2. Anastassiya

Hi Haoran! Excellent explanation and examples of motivation in relation to our learning! Motivated students are more persistent and expend more effort to study. Students’ motivation can be associated with their interest in education, becoming good professionals, finding a good job, getting good grades, and making a positive impression on the instructor and peers. As you mentioned, going to the amusement park or other perks from parents can be motivating for younger students!